File:Short Farmhouse.jpeg

From Brunswick MD History
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Original file(2,953 × 2,083 pixels, file size: 3.6 MB, MIME type: image/jpeg)

Summary

In 1977, the American Legion demolished this historic building to construct a modern lodge, marking the end of one of the oldest and arguably the most significant structures in Brunswick. Originally the home of Joseph Waltman, owner of "Potomac Farm", records indicate a structure may have existed on this site as early as 1792, with the original rear section likely predating the main portion of the house that was built circa 1846. Waltman sold the property to John Short on April 3, 1851. During the Civil War, it served as the headquarters for Major General Alfred Pleasanton, who oversaw cavalry operations for the Army of the Potomac. After the Battle of Gettysburg in early July 1863, when Union forces pursued General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, General Pleasanton notified Mr. Short that he would need part of the residence for his headquarters, choosing the front lower room on the right side for this purpose. When Confederate prisoners of war were brought to the house for questioning, Short's young daughter Indiana offered them food and was admonished by the Union authorities. When Miss Short later married Walter Musgrove, the couple made it their home, known as "Musgrove Place" and modified the house into a full two stories. In 1937, businessman W. Claude Lutman bought the property and made extensive renovations. In 1946, Steadman-Keenan American Legion Post 96 purchased the property from Mr. Lutman and added a wing to the north side.

(Information based on a story originally written by David Brown, and updated by the Brunswick History Commission)

File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current01:08, 18 March 2025Thumbnail for version as of 01:08, 18 March 20252,953 × 2,083 (3.6 MB)Pwenner (talk | contribs)In 1977, the American Legion demolished this historic building to construct a modern lodge, marking the end of one of the oldest and arguably the most significant structures in Brunswick. Originally the home of Joseph Waltman, owner of "Potomac Farm", records indicate a structure may have existed on this site as early as 1792, with the original rear section likely predating the main portion of the house that was built circa 1846. Waltman sold the property to John Short on April 3, 1851. Durin...

There are no pages that use this file.

Metadata